What to expect on MLB trade deadline day, and what’s the most unbreakable sports record still in the hunt?
Happy Tuesday everyone and happy MLB Trade Deadline. He could be wild.
Let’s cut to the chase.
Hello everyone, but especially to…
NEW YORK YANKEES, HOUSTON ASTROS AND SAN DIEGO PADRES
The title contenders are advancing as the trade deadline approaches.
Let’s start with the Bronx: The Yankeesstarter acquisition Frankie Montas and reliever Lou Trivino Athletics for left-handed throwers J.P. Sears and Ken Waldichukright handed Luis Medina and second baseman Cooper Bowman.
Montas finished sixth in AL Cy Young voting last year and has a career-high 3.18 ERA this season. The Yankees have World Series aspirations and Montas is giving the rotation a much-needed boost. The Yankeesfrom our MLB reporter RJ Anderson.
- Anderson: “The Yankees have so far been able to avoid dealing out one of their top player prospects. Anyone can guess what the Yankees will do the rest of the deadline, if anything, but Cashman has to be happy to have been able to add these three arms, plus André Benintendiwithout separating Anthony Volpe, Oswald PerazaWhere Everson Pereira In the process.”
The Yankees are .500 or better against every AL team they’ve faced this year but one: Astros. And Houston isn’t resting on those laurels either, acquiring 1B/OF Trey Mancini from Orioles as part ofand VS Christian Vazquez from Red Sox.
- Mancini is cutting .268/.347/.404 with 10 home runs this season. He should see most of his time in the outfield given Michael Brantleybut could also play first with Yuli Gurriel struggling.
- Vázquez has a .282/.327/.432 slant line this season with eight homers. He is also very solid defensively.
In the Netherlands, the Padres received good news in three forms.
, writes Anderson. Oh, and this trade don’t take them out of the race for Juan Soto. More on that in a moment.
And not such a good morning for…
JAMES WASHINGTON AND THE DALLAS COWBOYS
The off-season was relatively quiet for the Dallas Cowboys, given their standards. The greatest stories have been who is not adapt to the team, especially the wide receiver: amari cooper went to Cleveland, Ced Wilson is in Miami, and Michael Gallup signed an extension with Dallas but is.
The news for this group got worse at practice yesterday as James Washington. He is expected to miss six to 10 weeks.
- Washington, a second-round pick in 2018, spent the first four seasons of his career with Pittsburgh before this offseason.
- Although he has never caught more than 44 passes in a season, Washington has an impressive career mark of 14.3 yards per catch.
If you remove Gallup and Washington, only two current Cowboys wide receivers caught an NFL pass: CeeDee Lamb and Noah Brown.
Not so honorable mention
Everything you need to know for the trade deadline, including the latest on Juan Soto ⚾
There is so much baseball news to follow. Let’s go over all the other important professions that we haven’t mentioned above.
You can track all major movements.
Of course, there’s a gigantic name we’re looking forward to: Juan Soto.
— and stay glued to our live coverage — as today’s 6 p.m. deadline draws near.
What Deshaun Watson’s suspension means for Browns 🏈
Browns strategist Deshaun Watsonyesterday as former federal judge Sue Robinson determined he violated the league’s personal conduct policy. This offseason, Watson has faced civil lawsuits from 24 women accusing him of sexual assault or misconduct. He settled 23 of the 24 cases.
- Watson will miss the following matches: Panthersversus. Jetsversus. Steelersat Falconsversus. Chargersversus. patriots. He will come back to face crows in week 7.
- The NFL is reportedly pushing for an indefinite suspension of at least a year, and ; Commissioner Roger Goodel would then render a final decision. An appeal must be filed by Thursday.
If six games, it is definitely the permanent suspension,Jacoby Brisset to get Cleveland off to a good start. He went 2-3 as a starter for Miami last year, and his 78.1 passer rating was 28th out of 33 quarterbacks who threw at least 200 passes. Also on the list are Josh Rosen and Joshua Dobbs.
NFL expert Jordan Dajani took a lookwhile Cody Benjamin examined to others over the past 15 years.
The most impressive sports records still in pursuit 🏆
Over the past few weeks, I have watched the. It is important that there are two parts here. There are plenty of amazing records that no one is trying to break anymore. As Cal Ripken Jr.’s 2,632 consecutive games have been played. It’s amazing, but no one tries to break it anymore. Guys have days off, and for good reason. This recording is therefore not on this list.
What is on this list, however, is Jerry Rice. His 22,895 receiving yards and 197 receiving touchdowns are two of the most impressive marks in league history. Let me put you in perspective:
- “Cooper Kupp would have to replicate his 2021 season – arguably the greatest receiving season ever – nine more times to pass Rice in yards and 10 more times to pass him in touchdowns. a younger player, you ask? Justin Jefferson’s 3,016 career receiving yards are the most ever by a player over two seasons. He’ll only have to maintain that pace for 14 more seasons to top Rice in yards.
So yeah, Rice is damn good. But it wasn’t my favorite. Let’s move on to hockey, where Wayne Gretzky has my favorite stat of all time.
- “If Gretzky had never scored a single goal, he would still have the most points in NHL history. That’s right: Gretzky’s 1,963 career assists is more than anyone else’s career goals plus assists (Jaromir Jagr had 1,921 career points, second all-time). Add 894 goals and Gretzky’s points record of 2,857 is absurd.”
And yes, it’s weird to quote me in my own newsletter. Thanks for asking. In any event, let me know your favorite itemor whatever I didn’t include!. And make sure to
What we’re watching on Tuesday 📺
🏀 Sparks at Liberty7 p.m. on CBS Sports Network
🏀 Aces at Mystics7 p.m. on Facebook
⚽ Racing Louisville FC vs OL Reign8 p.m. on Paramount+
🏀 wings in the sky9 p.m. on CBS Sports Network
⚾ Dodgers at Giants9:45 p.m. on TBS