Truck freight rebounded slightly in 2021 according to new report
Trucking remained the dominant mode of transportation during a difficult year
WASHINGTON, October 19, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — The trucking industry moved 10.93 billion tonnes of freight in 2021, generating $875.5 billion of turnover, according to the latest edition of American Trucking Associations 2022 Trucking Trends.
“The global truck freight market rebounded in 2021 after falling in 2020,” said ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello. “Trends is a valuable resource for tracking changes in our industry, and this year’s edition is no different. This year’s report revealed that despite a challenging environment, trucking has grown and maintained its position as the dominant freight mode.
Among the trend findings, in 2021:
- Trucks transported 10.93 billion tonnes of freight, compared to 10.23 billion tonnes the previous year.
- The industry collected 80.8% of the country’s freight bill, up slightly from the previous year, while generating $875.5 billion.
- Trucking employed 7.99 million people in industry-related jobs, up 340,000 from the previous year, including 3.49 million professional truckers.
- Women made up 7.9% of drivers in the country – an all-time high – and minorities make up 46.1% of truck drivers.
- Trucking remains a small business industry: 95.7% of fleets operate ten or fewer trucks, and 99.7% operate fewer than 100.
- Trucks transported 66.1% of the value of surface trade between the United States and Canada and 82.7% of cross-border trade with Mexicofor a total of $828 billion value of goods.
“ATA believes in data-driven policymaking, and Trends consistently delivers accurate, up-to-date information so industry leaders can base their decisions on the best data available,” said the CEO. from ATA. Chris Lance. “Trends is a trusted source of information about our industry and the economy and that’s why it’s found on the desks of countless elected officials, regulators and industry leaders across the country.”
U.S. ATA Trucking Trends is available for purchase now at www.atabusinesssolutions.com.
American Trucking Associations is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our country’s freight. Follow ATA on Twitter or facebook. Trucking drives America forward.
SOURCE American Trucking Associations